Sunday, May 5, 2013

Brunch without guilt!

I'll admit it.  I'm a sucker for brunch. I love everything about it- lazy Sunday mornings, combination meals...mimosas! And its a great way to entertain when you have kids- no worries about bed time interruption. But, brunch can often be pointy when you're on WW. It can also lead to guilt later in the day for "spending" all of your points early in the day.

So today, I offer a solution. My good friend and her boyfriend are coming to visit today to spend time with the twins and brunch with Mike & I. She's bringing the fruit salad and I'm making 2 dishes:  these delicious muffins and a quiche.

I used my regular pie crust recipe:  1 cup flour, 6 tbsp cold butter, 1 tsp sugar, pinch salt- blitz in the food processor till crumbs form then add ice water until it forms a ball of dough. Divide into 2 discs, cover each in plastic wrap. Each crust is 14 points.

Bacon, Leek, and Cheddar Quiche- serves 6 at 6 pp each
1 pie crust
1 cup whole milk
3 eggs
3 oz shredded reduced fat cheddar
5 slices center cut bacon
2 leeks- sliced & cleaned
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp salt

Roll out pie crust into a pie plate. Prick all over with a fork and bake at 375 for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, heat a large frying pan and coat with nonstick cooking spray. Add leeks and cook until softened. Cook bacon in the microwave, discard drippings, and crumble. In a bowl beat the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper. Remove crust from oven. Add leaks, crumbled bacon, cheese, and finally egg mixture. Bake at 375 for 35 minutes or until the center of the quiche puffs up.

I haven't tasted or photographed this quiche yet, but once I do, I'll let you know how it goes!

No comments:

Chef Lauren in action

Chef Lauren in action
Cooking school on my honeymoon in Italy.