Thursday, May 2, 2013

Look who's back!

Well, I'm back!
For those of you who never read my blog before, welcome!
I haven't updated in 2 years but here's a brief overview of me and the blog.

I started this blog the last time I joined weight watchers, in January 2011. I used it as a place to talk about recipes I've tried, tips I've found useful, and good finds at grocery stores and farmers markets. At that time I was teaching jazzercise 5 x/week, doing yoga 1-2x/week and was a full time grad student finishing my phd.

Fast forward a few years.

I took a job as an assistant professor at a small state college in New Jersey. I love my job. I also had two beautiful twin baby boys almost 6 months ago. I love Connor and Luke more than anything I could possibly imagine. I'm still teaching jazzercise, but now its only 1-2x/week. Yoga? I wish! I'm incredibly lucky to have a supportive husband, flexible and kind department chair, and amazing babysitters. But I'm still a mom of infant twins working full time, so things aren't so easy this time around. I don't have oodles of activity points to spend on wine any longer, so weight watchers will be a bit harder. I also have a lot more to lose.

This wasn't the original plan by the way- life never is. I thought I'd have my babies one at a time (well, I always wished for twins, but wishes so rarely come true). I also thought I'd have them while I was in grad school, so I could be home with them, and then start the job search. Instead, it took years of trying, doctors, treatments, etc., before I got pregnant with my twins. So, I'm a working new mom. But life is still pretty wonderful.

Anyway, this time, I have a lot more weight to lose. I am 20 pounds above my pre-pregnancy weight, 30 pounds above my pre-IVF weight, and 50 pounds above where I'd like to be. So I'm taking baby steps, but I'm hoping keeping this blog along with counting my points can keep me accountable.

As far as my cooking/eating philosophy:  I eat real food. No splenda, no smart balance, no ricedream ice cream. I cook with oil and butter in moderation. I use reduced fat dairy products and nonstick cooking spray. I eat real pasta. See this post if you want to know why.  Don't try and convince me to eat pretend food. I won't do it.

So, here's a quick and easy 1 point side dish

Fennel, Red Onion, and Carrots (serves 2, 1 pp each)
1 bulb fennel sliced thin
1 medium red onion sliced thin
2 large carrots peeled and sliced thin
2 tsp olive oil
1/2 tsp thyme
salt & pepper to taste

Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add remainder of ingredients to pan and saute till soft. End of recipe.

I use this as a side dish with fish often. Today I'm having it with salmon and sweet potato oven fries.

No comments:

Chef Lauren in action

Chef Lauren in action
Cooking school on my honeymoon in Italy.