Monday, June 3, 2013

Well, this time it might take a little longer to get my posts going

All that said, I'm sticking with all this healthy cooking, eating, and living. So far, down 8.2 lbs! I'm learning how to adjust to the jogging stroller and a couple jazzercise classes a week, but I'm making it.

For a recipe:  couscous.

Mike suggested we have some couscous and I couldn't agree more. I used Israeli couscous for this particular recipe because I prefer it, but you could use any kind you like. I served it alongside some grilled shrimp and have enough left over for tomorrow night's dinner (grilled chicken)

Delicious summer couscous (serves 6 at about 6 pp each)

2 tbsp pine nuts
2 cloves of garlic chopped
1/2 medium red onion, diced
3 tbsp plus 1 tsp olive oil
1 box trader joe's Israeli couscous (about 1.25 cups I think)
2 cups chicken stock
2 grilled eggplants (see more in the instructions below) cut into cubes
2 cups diced fresh tomatoes
rind of one lemon
juice of one lemon
salt & pepper to taste

First cut the eggplants into 1/2 inch slices. I like to coat them in a mixture of olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and garlic powder, and let them sit for half an hour or so. Next, grill on medium until cooked through, flipping halfway. Most of the oil drops out on the grill, but you might want to consider these 2 points or so for the whole batch. Let them cool, dice them, and put it aside.

Saute the garlic, onion, and pine nuts in 1 tsp olive oil until softened. Add the couscous and cook until lightly brown. Add chicken stock, lower the heat, and cover. Note:  this takes longer with Israeli couscous than with regular couscous.

Mix together the remaining olive oil and lemon juice. Add salt and pepper until you like the taste of the dressing (might need to add a little more oil). Put aside. Add the eggplant, tomato, lemon rind, and dressing to the couscous. Serve hot or cold.

One reason why I like this recipe is that you could really switch in any fruit, veggie, or nut, and it would still be tasty. Also, it goes with just about any kind of grilled meat, and can count as both a starch and vegetable with dinner. Win win win!

Tomorrow night I'll take a photo of my leftovers and post.




No comments:

Chef Lauren in action

Chef Lauren in action
Cooking school on my honeymoon in Italy.